With the rise of web 2.0, I’ve noticed some new indicators that pop up when someone’s looking for a new job. No value judgments intended – just taking note of some workplace trends.
You know most of the old ones; the most obvious:
- Randomly overdressed for the environment (Valid reason? Funeral. Questionable? "I just felt like wearing something nice today.")
- Sudden medical appointments (Valid reason? An obvious ailment. Questionable? "The slot just opened up." These usually take weeks, if not months to schedule.)
- Spur-of-the-moment vacation plans (Valid reason? Spontaneous personality. Questionable? "Just need to get away for a day to clean the house.")
And some not so obvious:
- Mobile calls to the office and conference room conversations (the landline works just fine)
- Moving further away from the office (but closer to the new one)
- Someone who complains incessantly who doesn’t anymore
Enter the web 2.0 updates:
- Getting LinkedIn requests from co-workers you see regularly
- A new blog that’s less content and more resume focused
These are all situations I’ve seen or managed – anything else you’d add from your experience?